FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. captures young children’s inherent curiosity and directs it toward discovering the wonders of science and technology. This program features a real-world scientific concept to be explored through research, teamwork, construction, and imagination. Guided by adult Coaches, teams use LEGO®bricks to build a model that moves and develop a Show-Me Poster to illustrate their journey.
Children ages 6 to 9 get to:
- Design and build a challenge-related model using LEGO® WeDo 2.0.
- Create a Show-Me poster and practice presentation skills.
- Explore challenges facing today’s scientists.
- Discover real-world math and science.
- Begin developing teamwork skills.
- Choose to participate in events and celebrations.
- Engage in team activities guided by FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. Core Values.
The culmination of the hard work for many teams is the participation in an expo event (please refer to event schedule). Volunteer Reviewers at the event interview the teams to learn about their LEGO® Model and Show Me poster. All the teams are celebrated and leave with an award. While participation in an event is not a requirement, we encourage teams to attend one or run your own Expo with our support within your school, group or organisation.
HOW IT WORKS
- Organisations may enter unlimited teams.
- Each team must purchase an Inspire Kit ($50 per team per kit plus shipping – this does not include the WeDo robot). There is a new season & new Inspire Kit released each year in August.
- Once the team has the seasonal Inspire Kit, they may participate in unlimited expos for that particular season.
- You are encouraged to host an expo for your teams, if there are no official expos being held close by so please talk to us.